WT Partnership was engaged by Scenic World to assist during the final negotiations with the Contractor and with Post Contract Administration of the Scenic Railway upgrade. The project was completed under a Construction Management Contract with our team implementing a number of cost monitoring/ control procedures.
The project involved the complete upgrade of the Scenic Railway, which travels down a steep incline of up to 52 degrees for a length of 310 m along with associated top and bottom stations. The majority of the works were undertaken while railway remained operational. Material/ equipment handling and personnel access was s a major issue, while also maintaining the safety of Visitors to the Centre at all times.
The top station/ and workshop is located adjacent the main visitors building, while the bottom station is located at the base of in the incline and connects to a timber boardwalk allowing visitors to walk through the natural bush.
The upgrade included:
- Complete redevelopment of the top station including new covered loading platforms, queuing area and service walkway
- Upgrading/ extending the bottom station along with new stairs and sections of the boardwalk
- Reconfiguration and extension of the existing workshop
- Upgrade of the rail track including footings and stabilisation of the tunnel
- New train and winches
- Refurbishment of part of the visitors building including restaurant, terrace, cinema area and group entry
- Upgrade of the HV power supply including new substation and HV overhead power lines/ poles
- Installation of a new backup diesel generator.